Business Visas

6 Types of Employment-Based Visas

Employment covers a wide range of possibilities, and U.S. immigration law generally breaks the applications down into six categories…


Some applicants will have skillsets in very specialized professions. Engineering and science are two examples, and other possibilities, from medicine to architecture to law and beyond. An applicant with this specialized knowledge can seek out an H-1B visa. The applicant coming to the United States on an H-1B can do so with dual intent—that is, they can arrive as a non-immigrant employee but retain the option to eventually apply for permanent status.


Multi-national companies may want to transfer an employee to a United States location from abroad. The legal mechanism that would be used in this situation will be the L-1 visa application. The L-1 is further broken down into “A” and “B” categories. An L-1A application can be used for anyone in a managerial or executive role. The L-1B can be used for anyone with specialized knowledge of their particular employer’s products and processes.


The United States government has an interest in encouraging investors to put their money into U.S.-based operations. To make this easier for an international investor, the government offers applications for visas based on one’s investment. The E-Visas are what is used for this purpose, either an E-1 or an E-2 depending on the size of the investment.


This is similar to the specialized worker application, except it is used in different fields. Extraordinary ability can apply to someone coming to the United States to play sports at either the collegiate or professional level. It can apply to someone working in the arts, from television to film to acting. These circumstances call for an O-1 application. In the event that there is an entourage they rely on, their people can apply with an O-2 application.


Many churches and religious organizations send missionaries abroad to do good work and promote their beliefs. They can apply with an R Visa and gain residence in the United States for up to five years.


Those in college or just graduating may want to work in the United States to gain a unique type of employment experience. Here we use a J-1 visa application. This can be for as short as a summer in the U.S., or it might be for a multi-year residency program in medicine or a similar field.



All immigration proceedings can be tedious and time-consuming. Employment-based applications are no different. Companies need to sponsor their employees and interns, which requires paperwork. Billing can often be confusing, with invoices going to multiple offices around the world. Dworsky Law Firm aims to simplify this for our clients. We can centralize operations and relieve businesses of the burden of needing to employ attorneys in every country where they want to send someone or having them transferred in from.

Dworsky Law Firm offers visa issuance and work authorizations for the following countries

  • United States
  • Canada
  • China/Hong Kong
  • India
  • Philippines
  • Germany
  • France
  • U.K.
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • Brazil
  • Mexico
  • Chile
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Abu Dhabi/UAE
  • Singapore


Dworsky Law Firm understands all facets of employment-based immigration because we’ve been there personally. Our founding partner, Attorney Ashley D. Dworsky, emigrated to the United States based on his skill as a lawyer. Our staff has subsequently grown by adding in migrants from other countries. We understand the hassles that business owners and executives want to avoid in the immigration process. We understand the desire of employees and interns to simply get settled in the United States and start working.

With over 25 years of experience, we know the law in all its facets. We also know what our clients are going through.

Successful Cases

“Mauris blandit aliquet elit, eget tincidunt nibh pulvinar a. Quisque velit nisi, pretium ut lacinia in, elementum id enim. Donec sollicitudin molestie malesuada. Cras ultricies ligula sed magna dictum porta. Curabitur arcu erat.”

— John Simpson


3400 Dundee Road, Suite 200, Northbrook, IL 60062

Offices in Northbrook, Johannesburg and Hyderabad.


(847) 441-4188